Tuesday 6 November 2018

Week two and three

After one week on crutches, lifting my weight with my arms and shoulders and placing it on one foot, I feel achy. This is not good. My muscles should strengthen but instead, my joints are taking a beating. 
So, I am taking it easy and hobbling only when absolutely necessary to the kitchen for breakfast, then to the living room where I stay most of the day on the couch supported by pillows. It also doesn't help that the cast presses on my ankle and rubs the top of my shin bone from inside - making it painful to walk. But I am able to wiggle my toes, which means blood circulation is good.
Just in case my doctor prescribed some anticoagulants that I am to inject into my abdomen. I have been negligent in that duty only braving the procedure every second day. I am lucky that I am surrounded by helpful people who carry my laptop from my bedroom and bring me tea and lunch during the day. It's amazing how a broken leg and weak muscles make me so helpless. 
The last time I broke a bone (an ankle in the other leg), I lived on my boat at anchor in San Diego and managed quite well. I rowed my dinghy to shore, walked to a grocery store and joined friends at a local hotel pool for parties. But, I had a removable Styrofoam cast, which was light and comfortable. Furthermore, eighteen years and a major illness makes a big difference in my level of fitness. I am humbled.
On Monday evening, a new guest from Hong Kong arrived at the retreat. His name was Stewart and he was (guess what) - an orthopedic surgeon. Just traveling for a holiday. A miracle! Of course, I asked him every question I could think of about fractured fibula and he was most helpful. He told me that doctors in China have more leeway when treating patients because there is not such a big threat of lawsuits as in the west. According to him, in the west, doctors must follow a conservative procedural path which is geared to the worst case scenario in a patient and meant for the riskiest case. So, the cast and anticoagulant is what works in most cases and that's what the doctor must prescribe even if it is unnecessary in a specific case. 
In China, many fractures are stabilized with two splints taped together. He said that unless a full cast is removed and adjusted several times, it doesn't work very well because of the changes in the size of the limb due to swelling and loss of muscle over time. An adjustable one is much better, in his opinion.
So, I am planning what to say to the doctor when I see him again this Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment