Monday 10 December 2018

Leg fracture at six weeks

I've been back on my boat for three weeks now and it's six weeks since I broke my leg. Most of the time, I've been staying on board, only getting down the ladder three or four times. I've had groceries delivered and I have Internet onboard so can manage. Inside the cabin, there is not much space for walking with crutches, so I've been using the furniture to move around. I'm able to cook and generally look after myself.

I've been knitting, making sauerkraut, baking bread. I've even put a few coats of varnish on the trim outside and have started writing and editing again.

At night, I've been unwrapping the tensor bandage from the cast so that I can gently massage part of my leg and stimulate blood flow for healing. 

I've not used the anticoagulant injections since my flight. 




Split cast for flying

All seemed fine and I even began leaning the cast on the floor without putting any weight on it for a better balance. But for the past three days, the area of the break is aching slightly. Not enough to keep me awake but enough to worry. Is it not healing properly? Is the open cast not providing enough stability? Have I been moving too much? I hope this doesn't mean surgery!  

I wrapped the cast closed as much as possible using a luggage strap and it feels much better but I'm also looking for a ride to the hospital for an x-ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment