Sunday 17 February 2019

How to organize your work as a freelance writer

 I am a freelance writer. I enjoy my work because it gives me the freedom to write about what interests me, I can work anywhere, and I can work when inspiration calls rather than having to submit something regardless of how I feel. There is a downside to this, of course - if I want to eat, I need to be somewhat disciplined and organized. I need to produce finished copy now and then.
And so the system I developed helps to keep me in line. This is what I do:
On my computer, I have a file folder called, "ARTICLES," and in it, I have more folders. They are called: 01-Ideas, 02-Queries, 03-First Draft, 04-Second Draft, 05-Third Draft, 06-Ready to Submit, 07-Submitted, 08-Accepted, 09-In Print, 10-Paid, and 11-Blog. The numbers keep the folders in order.
Whenever I have an idea, I know where to put it. I don't stress over whether it is a good idea or not, don't worry about actually writing the article – I just jot down what comes to mind and then file it away. It is safe in the folder for the times when I run out of ideas or when I am blocked. It is full to bursting, but that's OK.
I usually query editors after I finish writing because most of my stories are personal travel and sailing essays and are accepted or rejected based on the quality of writing and the timeliness of the topic. But when I have an idea for a technical article, I do email the editor in advance. I file these letters in the QUERIES folder.
When I start writing, my manuscript goes through the three folders of FIRST, SECOND, and THIRD DRAFTS, even though I often edit many times. Sometimes the document goes back from the third draft folder back to the second one or even the first one if it needs a big rewrite. And sometimes I get involved in something else and the manuscript stays in its folder for weeks or even months. Along the way, it gets its own folder to which I add relevant photographs, diagrams, and notes.
When I am satisfied with it, I file the document in the READY TO SUBMIT folder. This is when I make a list of possible magazine publishers on a spreadsheet, and write a generic cover letter to a submissions editor. I list the publications in the order starting with ones that only accept First World Rights at the top, to the ones that accept reprints at the bottom. Often, the editor who has accepted my manuscripts in the past and has a good reputation for paying on time is at the top of this list.
Next, I begin my submission process. On the spread sheet, I enter the name of the editor, the date of submission, and as the manuscript goes through the mill, dates of acceptance or rejection, when it was paid for and how long I need to wait before I can submit it to the next publisher in line.
Once I email the document, I file a copy in the SUBMITTED folder. I don't worry about it after that, just get on with the next article in line. This prevents me from spending too much time checking my inbox. Also, by noting the date when I send out the story, I know how long (usually two months) I need to wait before sending a follow up letter. Most editors are very busy and appreciate my patience.
When the story is accepted, I move it to the appropriate folder and finally, if all goes well, to the IN PRINT and PAID ones. The manuscript stays there for the six months or a year that is required by the publisher, before I return it to the READY TO SUBMIT folder once again.
I don't often give up on an article that I have worked on for several days or weeks, but now and then I find that I am done with trying to find a publisher for it and so it goes into the BLOG folder. I post it on my blog and so it finds a home one way or another. This also reminds me that not everything is marketable.
The successful articles then make their way to my BOOK folder and when there are enough of them on a certain topic, I have a possibility of seeing them in print once again.
If this is beginning to sound like an assembly line process to you, it is. But it works. It keeps me organized and focused on what I love doing the most – writing. Using this system I avoid the confusion of too many great ideas and not enough finished product. I see where I need to work next to avoid a back log and have no excuse for a writer's block. Over time, my reputation increases as editors regularly notice my name in their in-box and begin to count on my submissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment