Sunday 31 March 2019

Flow

I've been struggling recently, trying to edit for the umpteenth time my new book, Crossing Atlantic. I've joined a critique group on Scribophile and I've gone through the first draft once already. I think I need to take a break now and get some perspective before going through another edit. Meanwhile, I will catch up on some articles that I want to send out into the world.
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi in his book, Finding Flow, would say that the editing part is not challenging enough and that I am bored.
To regain the flow experience, I need to increase the level of the challenge. I'm not sure how to do that while editing the same text over and over again, but perhaps in a month I will have a new view of it and it will once again become a challenge.
Click on the video above to hear  professor Csikszentmihalyi's TED talk covering the topic of Flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment