Tuesday 31 March 2020

Be More Productive In 7 Days, by Phyllis Korkki

While we are all under lockdown due to the Coronavirus, I'm trying to get a few things done instead of spending most of the day browsing the Internet. However, while browsing last night, I found an article in The New York Times, "Be More Productive In 7 days," by Phyllis Korkki. Perfect! I love learning new things. 

The form of the article is simple: 

Day 1: Commit to 10 minutes. 
It means setting a timer for 5 minutes to work, then one-minute rest followed by another 5 minutes of work. That's easy, I said to myself. I've been wanting to finish this book I started a couple of years ago and keep postponing. But I can do something for 10 minutes even if all I get done is open the Scrivener project file. And what do you know? I actually went through several sections of chapter 8 that I've been stuck on. 
Once the timer goes off marking the end of the work, you're supposed to stop and so I patted myself on the back for getting through my writer's block. Interestingly enough, on another app I've been exploring, I received a quote by Confucius, "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you don't stop." Very fitting. I signed up for reminders to the productivity plan and this morning received a message from Phyllis with day two assignment. 

Day 2: Make a Realistic To-Do List. 
This means a specific list with fewer than 12 short tasks that can be accomplished in 10 minutes and each with a visible result. I'm using Google Tasks and Calendar for reminders, of things to do so I went through the list for today and adjusted the items to be shorter and more specific. I am happy to report that I completed most of them. 

Day 3: Connect Your Body and Mind. 
This is about posture and how good posture and deep breathing encourages good productivity while at one's desk. Also, the need to take regular breaks. Dr. Korkki recommends working for 10-20 minutes and then taking a physical break to stand up or walk around before resuming work. I do slouch while writing on my laptop and bend my head down to see the screen. Not a good idea but I'm not sure how to correct that except to work at a stand-up desk. Perhaps I'll put the laptop on the top companionway step... not easy to type this way. But taking a regular break is an idea I will definitely adopt. 

Day 4: Rise Above the Noise. 
This one is not as easy as it sounds. It involves turning off all distractions such as email, Facebook, news updates, phone, walk-ins, and so on. The best way to deal with those is to check them on your schedule, not when something pings. Dr. Korkki suggests every hour, but I think I can manage three times a day. The rest of the time, I am free to get some work done. Of course, as per assignment for day 1, all I need to do is 10 minutes of work per day. 😇 

Day 5: Find a Partner. 
This is not so easy. I've never had success with accountability partners. They either flake out or couldn't care less if I get things done as they're too busy living their life. Dr. Korkki also suggests posting one's measurable, specific goal with a deadline of today or tomorrow on social media and then posting once it's done. I've been doing this with my runs on Strava but there isn't anything like it for writers. I need an accountability partner who is a writer. Now, which goal should I choose for this assignment? Finish my book! 

Day 6: Extend Your Focus. 
This assignment is about working on a bigger project and focusing on a single task for two hours with two or three unscheduled breaks if necessary. The purpose is to focus on working longer but not worrying about quality, just quantity. Many of us are perfectionists and get blocked because we worry about not getting it right. "Focus on quantity and let God worry about quality." It is hoped that you will reach the state of flow where you lose track of time and accomplish much more than you expect. 

Day 7: Look to the Future. 
This is about just looking over the past week and seeing how you did. What worked and what didn't. What have you learned and did you notice the benefits of following the assignment's suggestions? Write down three new things you did this week that could potentially be carried over into new and permanent habits over time. Place the list on your desk in view, so that it could help you get you back on track next time your mind starts to stray from your work. Ok, so I set up a timer for 5, 10, and 15 minutes to get my scheduled projects done. I wrote an app to keep me writing regularly, recorded a video of me playing piano for a talent show, and asked a friend to be my cheerleader. 

All good. A worthwhile set of assignments to become more productive. 

By the way, Phyllis Korkki is the author of The Big Thing: How to Complete Your Creative Project Even if You're a Lazy, Self-Doubting Procrastinator Like Me. 

Can't wait to read it AFTER I finish my own book!

No comments:

Post a Comment