Thursday 5 September 2019

Example of a cover letter that works

The following cover letter has been my standard for many years, and it has worked with most of the editors that I've sent my work. It is brief, has a hook in the first line, and gives the editor all the information that is needed. 


All boats leak, don’t they? If not right away then eventually. We search for the elusive drip and then caulk and seal and seal and caulk in a never-ending yet optimistic quest for a dry boat. Is success possible? Is the quest worth it? Or will it eventually drive us crazy? 

I’m attaching a 920-word manuscript entitled, The Drip, which addresses the subject as well as two images. I hope you like it. 
My work has been published by you, at 48 North, also by Sail, Boat Works, Latitudes and Attitudes, Living Aboard, Practical Boat Owner and others. 

I am now cruising on my 32-foot Ted Brewer’s East Orient, Eidos, which is my seventh boat and the one with the least number of leaks (so far, cross my fingers, knock on wood). I have sailed in British Columbia, California, Mexico, Florida, and the Bahamas. Since crossing the Atlantic in 2004, I have been cruising in the Mediterranean. I am now in Greece. 

Thank you for your consideration, 

Sincerely yours, 
Barbara Molin

No comments:

Post a Comment