Monday 13 April 2020

Self editing - read it out loud.

The first step in self-editing is to read the whole manuscript out loud. The best way I found of doing this is to read it to the voice recorder on my smartphone. I tried having a robot voice read it (some editing software offers this feature), but it is clunky and sounds unrealistic. Having a friend or a family member read it is also a possibility but I don't like to impose at this stage because I often want to make changes as I read. Reading it yourself allows you to stop, pause, reread a section that sounds off, revise your manuscript, and continue when you are satisfied.

This method of self-editing should tell you if your sentences and paragraphs flow or not. You'll notice repeated words and overly long sentences. I noticed that my chapters were too long, so split several into shorter ones. I find that a chapter of approximately 2,000 words that can be read in 10 to 15 minutes satisfies quite well and can be accomplished while commuting, waiting for an appointment, or while at the airport. Make sure that your chapters end on a cliff hanger and you'll find that your readers will be eagerly wanting to read the next one as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment