Friday 2 November 2007

On being a writer

I love being a writer. I have many interests and writing focuses me. I get interested in something and then look for a way to write about it. I can write as short or as long about it as I want to. I still have way more ideas than finished projects, but they are in my 'ideas' folder for those times that I'm stuck for a new one (it happens).
Other projects advance through the first, second and third draft (sometimes they get stuck in one of those, too). After the third draft is completed, I write a generic cover letter and start a 'submissions' list.
Then I go through the list of prospective publishers and adjust the cover letter accordingly. I email my submission while a copy of the story with the cover letter and submission list goes into the 'submitted' folder. After that hopefully it goes to 'accepted' and 'in print' folders and after that back to 'submitted' for the second time to publishers who accept reprints.
And now and then, when I don't want to bother with the usual publishers and I'm eager to see a story in 'print,' I post it on my sailing blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment